Saturday, January 26, 2013

Amazon 1

January 21 2013

Monday morning, I woke up at 4 am to start my journey to the Amazon.  I double checked my suitcase for quick dry clothing, snacks, extra underwear, sunscreen, and swimsuits.  All of the students met at the University to take a bus to the Quito airport.  Once at the airport, we took a 30 minute flight to Coca.  I could immediately tell I was in a different environment because the relatively cool, dry air of Quito was gone.  It was only 7 am, but the humidity and heat were overwhelming.
Our group spent about 2 hours in the lounge area of a hotel while we waited for a boat.  Chelsea and I went exploring in Coca.  We got breakfast (and subsequently did not get sick!) and I was overcharged for a delicious bag of cookies.  The next part of the journey took place on the Napo River.  Our group got on two large canoe-shaped boats for a two hour ride downstream.  The Napo River reminded me a lot of Lake Oconee because of its open, silty waters and the flat forest that surrounded the width of the river.
We stopped at the Maxus Road (created by the oil companies) and took another bus ride for about two hours.  The road was much like a well-maintained FDR road, but Ecuador works differently.  When the US makes a reserve or park, we remove the people to preserve the wildlife.  In Ecuador, there is a strong indigenous population that still lives somewhat distinctly from Western society and so they are included in reserves as well.  The Maxus Road had a decent number of homes along it; they were all very simple homes but some had DirecTV.  Once we reached the Tiputini River, we got in a boat similar to the one on the Napo River and had another two hour boat ride to Tiputini Biodiversity Station (TBS).  The Tiputini is smaller than the Napo, but it seems just as silty.  Because the River was low, we were able to see some wildlife, including many birds, turtles, butterflies, and a giant anteater!
Our entire group was introduced to TBS.  Meals are served at 6:30, 12, and 7, but there were always packages of cookies in case you needed a snack.  Electricity is only available for two three-hour periods throughout the day and there is no hot water.  I survived here for four days, and I probably could have lasted longer had I brought more clean clothes.
Details of the next few days and photos will come later. 

1 comment: