Monday, April 1, 2013

Still Alive

Surprise!  I'm still alive.  Lately, I've been spending more time socializing with people in real life than with my internet friends and family.  It's kind of odd for me, but I'm starting to enjoy real people!  I'm also reluctant to upload photos because of the low bandwidth available here.

Last week I had Spring Break.  It was refreshing to get to visit some of the other islands and see different scenery.  There was also a much-appreciated change of food.  I got to visit Isabela for the first time, and it was way different than I expected.  All of the islands have a different feel, and Isabela seems the most like a tropical, Caribbean paradise.  The waters around the pier were shallow and sandy, and the beach had the most wonderful sand I've encountered.  I also got to go back to Bartolome, and it was wonderful.  I only saw a wisp of a penguin swim underneath me, but it was worth it.

Now I'm taking Marine Ecosystems Based Management.  EMB is a conservation strategy that recognizes people are interacting with the ecosystem, and tries to implement conservation in a way that is sustainable for the environment and the people living there.  It's complicated because you have to involve so many different groups of people, but the results are generally better than single-species management practices.

At this point, I'm not really sure what else to write about, other than that I'm still alive.  I hope all of my non-Ecuadorian friends and family are getting some sun and fun up North  :]

No comments:

Post a Comment